Maps required for teams entering the 50 mile and 50 km routes:
Maps required for teams entering the 30 km route:
Alternatively – AA Walker’s Map No.24 - The Chilterns 1:25,000, covers ALL routes
To comply with the rules each team must carry two sets of each of the maps listed above for your team's event. This can be a combination of one AA Walker’s map plus a set of OS Explorer maps or two sets of OS Explorer maps or two copies of the AA Walker’s map.
Each person must wear or carry at all times on the walk:
- Long trousers or similar to cover the lower body (no denims)
- Walking boots or walking shoes (no trainers) to give protection from the elements (suitability of footwear will be entirely at the discretion of the Inspection teams)
- Three layers of clothing for the upper body
- Waterproof garments to cover the whole body including the head (Durable Water Repellent DWR garments cannot be used as waterproof garments)
- Hat to cover the ears
- Gloves or Mittens
- Torch with spare batteries
- A high visibility jacket or vest. This item must be worn during hours of darkness or as instructed to do so by event staff.
- Emergency rations (glucose, sweets, chocolate, nuts, raisins etc.)
- Survival bag minimum 500 gauge
- Drinking water
- A mug
- Emergency personal first aid kit
Each team must carry:
- Two sets of the OS maps for the chosen route (see top of page)
- Two compasses (Silva or similar)
- Team first aid kit containing, as a minimum, a good supply of plasters and 3 large triangular bandages in a waterproof bag/box
- At least two mobile phones which must be fully charged at the start of the event and must be switched on throughout the event. The mobile phone number must be given to the member of staff at registration.
In addition for the 50 mile and 50 km routes, each team must carry:
- An emergency shelter, also known as a KISU or Blokka bag, or a 2 person tent without poles or pegs. Full description on page 4 of Walk Instructions
- A sleeping bag
- A stove and fuel, emergency food and equipment to cook it
Suggested items you will also need for the weekend:
- Sleeping bag, mat and pillow
- Wash kit to freshen up
- Change of clothes
- Change of footwear.
Please note that the walking boots / shoes you use for the event will be taken from you at the Finish Control on returning to the school and placed in a bin bag with your team number, it can be collected when you leave. This policy allows us to keep the accommodation as free of mud as possible.